Advice on Choosing a Major

Sunday, March 27, 2016



I think choosing your major can be very difficult but it can also be one of the best ways to discover yourself. When I was applying to colleges, I told myself that I needed a place that would prepare me for a career in the real world. In high school and even my freshman year in college, I participated in so many extracurriculars in an attempt to build a strong resume. Like any other college graduate, my hope was to land a job right after college and to move out of my parents' house to earn my complete freedom.

Before my love of philosophy, I tended to focus almost all of my attention on making sure I would be able to land a solid job after college. I wanted to have a car, an apartment, and to be able to live independently on my own. Little did I know how materialistic this life was. How did I allow money and capitalism to cloud and manipulate my judgement so much?

I never knew how much I would learn about myself here at Providence College. It's been almost two years that I've been a student at PC. Within the past year, my view on the world has changed enormously. I can't say it got better or worse, but I can say that I am more proud of who I am.

I think that growing up in a world where money is basically everything--we need it to live in a house, to travel, to go to school, to be healthy, hell to be a woman (when we buy our tampons and pads)--it can really destroy our positive outlook on the world. One thing that I am so curious about is: How did we let ourselves and our minds become so engrossed in capitalism?

When applying to colleges, I decided majoring in Education would land me a solid job. I would be helping children and our future generation learn how to be great human beings. But did I really want to be around crazy screaming children 24/7? To be honest, no.

Between the summer of my senior year in high school and freshmen year in college, I changed it to Health Policy and Management. I had participated in a two week internship where I shadowed two directors in the Human Resources office of a hospital. Everyone had been so kind and welcoming and I thought, "Wow, I want to work in a hospital." But did I really want to work there because I enjoyed what I did? Or because of the environment and the people I was working with?

So when choosing your major, don't think about your plans right after college. Think about your talents and how your can best maximize them in a certain field. Feel what you love, and then do it. Don't think about your plans right after college, but your plans for a lifetime. Is this what you would want to do for the rest of your life? Do what you love, study what you love and enjoy, and if you're really passionate about what you are doing/studying, you will most likely be happy for the rest of your life!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)